The one thing that the world needs the most and it’s the same thing that we also lack the most. Yes, Its kindness. The world needs a lot of kindness, the people, the society, the actions everything around us needs a lot of kindness.
When I say being kind at the first place we need to be kind to our own set of people with whom we move in and out on a daily basis, secondly being to kind to the complete society which we belong to, that is being kind to unknown people as well. Third and the most important thing is being kind to people junior or younger to us and people who are dependent on us. We all take them for granted and show all our faces to them rather we are all sweet and patient with people elder to us and people whom we are dependent on either professionally and personally. All these together would constituent to being kind.
When you say you are kind to a known set of people it has a lot of positives attached to it, you get your respect for being kind, you are looked a step ahead by your fellow mates, you get your work done easily by your kindness. So being kind to a known group gets you a lot of perks. The real challenge here is to be the same way to strangers and unknown people as well, where you may not get any perks, where you may be taken for a ride for being kind, where you may be exploited for your kindness, but being kind comes true only when we are able to still be kind and good amidst these mishaps.
A classic case of being kind which I recently came across in a social media site was a message put up at the door of a restaurant in the US.
The message said the below
“ To the person going through our trash for their next meal”
“You’re a Human Being and worth more than a meal from a dump. So please come in during operating hours for a classic Peanut Butter & Jam Sandwich, Fresh Veggies and a cup of water at no charge. No Questions asked”
A great act from the bottom of the heart. A true one with no half measures or expectations, Hats off to her ! Similarly we all should start being kind to our fellow mates around us.
In fact research says that being kind to others increases our own levels of happiness as well as theirs. It’s like a win – win situation, isn’t it and definitely kindness is contagious.
Let’s see how we can be kind by doing the most simple things or simple changes to our daily routine.
1. Smile more – Smiling is a simple act of kindness that can go a long way. Make a habit of smiling at strangers, or at friends or acquaintances. Smiling at people will also make them more comfortable and will make us look more approachable. Everybody wins when we smile, and our capacity for kindness will grow in the process.
2. Being polite – That is being genuinely polite from the bottom of our heart, for example – Use “May I” instead of “Can I“, use “Let me explain in other words” instead of “that’s not what I said”. Our politeness can be expressed by the words we use and our expressions
3. Being grateful – People who are truly kind can easily express gratitude. They don’t take anything for granted and always thank people for helping them out. They know how to say “thank you” and really mean it. Let’s say thank you and Sorry more often.
4. Listen more – The act of listening is easier said than done in our fast-paced world. Truly listening to someone, making eye contact, avoiding all distractions, and giving a person the time of day is one of the greatest acts of kindness. Lets listen more and let people complete what they are trying to say, let’s not interrupt in between even if we do not agree to what they are saying!
5. Holding doors open for people, offering a seat to elderly people, give way to people who looks to be in a rush. Being polite to people younger than us and by not imposing our superiority on them.
6. A real example of kindness is by offering water to people who are at our doorstep like the Courier delivery people, fruit/vegetable vendors, laundry wala’s.
The list can go on and on but the simplest way to show kindness is to wear a smile on our face always to everyone and be more approachable, say more thank you.
The world needs a lot of kindness, let’s be kind, stay kind and spread kindness.